1. The African continent has a rich history of musical cultures and traditions. Pick one of the instruments, video examples or songs from the chapter that resonates with you and discuss how its musical, performative or functional quality relate to the concept of the world view of community before the individual.
2. What are some of the common qualities between the spiritual function and power given to certain classes of musicians in Hawaii (kumu hula), China (mask makers and dancers in Noh Theater), Bali (instrument builders and dancers) and West Africa (djali or griot)?
3. What is your opinion about organizing the chapter by ethnic groups, rather than country?
4. Choose one section from this chapter and do further research.
5. Research the history past and present of one of the instruments that you studied. There are many wonderful documentaries to explore.
6. Choose one music video and discuss how the sounds and the visuals complement each other to express the culture and message.